Each Tucker Maxon elementary classroom offers a personalized, integrated curriculum based on the new Common Core State Standards.
Tucker Maxon places an emphasis on strong communication and critical thinking integrating science and social studies into rich, student-driven projects throughout the year. Elementary classes weave math, reading, writing and spelling into all areas of learning. Students from PreK to 5th grade visit the school library often, participate in music classes and physical education (PE).
Our small class sizes have a maximum of 12 to 14 students each, and include both typical hearing students and students who are deaf or hard of hearing. All children receive strong support from classroom teachers, educational assistants, and volunteers in individual, small- and large-group activities. Each Elementary classroom offers:
- Small class sizes with an 8:1 Student:Teacher ratio, which allows each student to receive the personalized instruction they need.
- A sound-field system, to assist students in hearing the teacher’s voice — thought to improve literacy development in children.
- Access to a licensed teacher of the deaf or hard of hearing, on-site speech-language pathology, and on-site audiology services for children with hearing loss.
Elementary School Amenities
- Physical education in a full-sized gymnasium, complete with a climbing wall.
- Music classes, including choir and instrument exploration.
- Art classes focus on self-expression using a variety of different media.
- Large on-campus playground
- Access to our nature area: including garden exploration, gathering eggs from our hen house, and caring for our goats.
- Regular reports on your child’s progress with the use of developmental checklist.
- Access to Extended care after school (additional cost).