Teacher of the Deaf: Job Description
Tucker Maxon School is looking for a full-time teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing to start the last week of August 2018. The position is likely to be in the preschool division where there are 3-4 classes. This is your opportunity to become part of an amazing and dedicated team. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the school Principal. Tucker Maxon is one of only 4 schools in the nation to meet or exceed the OPTION Schools Standards of Excellence in Listening and Spoken Language Education. Our independent, nonprofit school currently has 100 students and 30 dedicated staff.
Description of duties:
- Teach a preschool class of less than 14 students with a fulltime Educational Asst.
- Create positive, well-organized and orderly learning environment where children feel welcome and comfortable.
- Demonstrate unconditional respect for children and their well-being without regard to race, religion, socioeconomic, gender and physical limitations.
- Integrate needs related to deafness into a well-balanced classroom.
- Promotes interaction and learning among peers.
- Provide an appropriate example for students with personal conduct.
- Foster positive relationships with students, parents, fellow teachers, non-teaching personnel, and administration through excellent communication.
- Actively support the nonprofit mission of the school.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal and/or Executive Director.
- Master’s degree in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with specialization in Listening and Spoken Language (LSLS certification preferred).
- Certification by the Oregon State Department of Education or eligible.
- Oregon Teachers License or eligible.
- Minimum 2 years of equivalent experience in working with students who use hearing aids, cochlear implants and other assistive devices to access spoken language.
- An interest or background in social and emotional learning (SEL).
Salary depending on level of education and experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, short and long term disability and life insurance.
Please send your cover letter and resume with your last name in the title of attachments with subject line “Teacher of the Deaf” to firstname.lastname@example.org.