Teacher of the Deaf: Job Description
Tucker Maxon School is looking for a part-time teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing to start immediately. The position will teach a small group of deaf and hard of hearing students between 8:00 and 11:30 am. The teacher would be working on listening and spoken language goals with students during various activities. This is your opportunity to become part of an amazing and dedicated team. Our mission is to teach deaf and hearing children to listen, talk, learn, and achieve excellence together. This is a part-time, position reporting to the school Principal. Tucker Maxon is one of only 4 schools in the nation to meet or exceed the OPTION Schools Standards of Excellence in Listening and Spoken Language Education. Our independent, nonprofit school currently has 100 students and 30 dedicated staff. Start date is as soon as possible.
Description of duties:
- Teach a small group of 4-6 deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Create positive, well-organized, and orderly learning environment where children feel welcome and comfortable.
- Demonstrate unconditional respect for children and their well-being without regard to race, religion, socioeconomic, gender, and physical limitations.
- Integrate needs related to deafness into a well-balanced classroom.
- Promotes interaction and learning among peers.
- Provide an appropriate example for students with personal conduct.
- Foster positive relationships with students, parents, fellow teachers, non-teaching personnel, and administration through excellent communication.
- Actively support the nonprofit mission of the school.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal and/or Executive Director.
- Master’s degree in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with specialization in Listening and Spoken Language (LSLS certification preferred).
- Certification by the Oregon State Department of Education or eligible.
- Oregon Teachers License or eligible.
- Minimum 2 years of equivalent experience in working with students who use hearing aids, cochlear implants and other assistive devices to access spoken language.
- An interest or background in social and emotional learning (SEL).
Salary depending on level of education and experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume as Word or PDF files with your last name in the title of attachments with subject line “Teacher of the Deaf” by October 25th to email@example.com.
Please see our diversity, equity and inclusion statement at www.tuckermaxon.org. Tucker Maxon School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin, or other legally protected status. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.