Teacher of the Deaf
Tucker Maxon School in Portland, Oregon is looking for a full-time teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing. The teacher would be working on listening and spoken language goals with students during various activities. This is your opportunity to become part of an amazing and dedicated team. Our mission is to teach deaf and hearing children to listen, talk, learn, and achieve excellence together. Our goal is to help every child reach their potential in school and life. Our highest values are conversation, confidence, creativity, and community. This is a full-time position reporting to the school Principal. Tucker Maxon is one of only 4 schools in the nation to meet or exceed the OPTION Schools Standards of Excellence in Listening and Spoken Language Education. Our independent, nonprofit school currently has 107 students and 29 dedicated staff. See www.tuckermaxon.org for more information. Tucker Maxon: Where Every Child has a Voice.
- Teach individual or small groups of deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Create positive, well-organized and orderly learning environment where children feel welcome and comfortable.
- Demonstrate unconditional respect for children and their well-being without regard to race, religion, socioeconomic, gender and physical limitations.
- Integrate needs related to deafness into a well-balanced classroom.
- Promotes interaction and learning among peers.
- Provide an appropriate example for students with personal conduct.
- Foster positive relationships with students, parents, fellow teachers, non-teaching personnel, and administration through excellent communication.
- Actively support the nonprofit mission of the school.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal and/or Executive Director.
- Master’s degree in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with specialization in Listening and Spoken Language (LSLS certification preferred).
- Certification by the Oregon State Department of Education or eligible.
- Oregon Teachers License or eligible.
- Minimum 2 years of equivalent experience in working with students who use hearing aids, cochlear implants and other assistive devices to access spoken language.
- An interest or background in social and emotional learning (SEL).
Depends on Experience
Please send a cover letter and resume as Word or PDF files with your last name in the title of attachments with subject line “Teacher of the Deaf” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see our diversity, equity and inclusion statement at https://www.tuckermaxon.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion/
Tucker Maxon School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin, or other legally protected status. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.