Substitute Teacher: Job Description
Substitute teachers are appointed with the agreement that their affiliation with the school will be on a temporary basis pending the return of a permanent or probation teacher who is absent due to extended leave or illness.
The substitute teacher is assigned to work in the absence of a regular teacher to aid students in understanding a subject matter, as well as to provide skills required for programmed lessons and purposeful training for the classroom he/she is assigned.
The substitute teacher’s job description covers giving instructions and organizing the classroom environment so as to enhance student learning during the period of absence of the regular classroom teacher.
He/she must work out teacher lesson plans, give out class work and assignments and ensure effective discipline and class control.
He/she will conclude evaluations and daily reports to give account of any information pertaining to the events of the day.
Description of Duties
- Direct the learning procedure in the direction of accomplishing curriculum objectives and goals as implied in the lesson plans for projects, lessons or units assigned.
- Make use of instructional procedures and materials which are most suitable for attaining lesson goals.
- Ensure an orderly and tidy classroom and may need to keep tables and chairs well arranged and clear of the chalkboard.
- Adhere to all procedures, guidelines, and policies followed by regular teachers in line with recommended teaching procedure.
- Ensure a sustainable relationship with parents, pupils, school personnel and members of the public by communicating in a confidential, polite and refined manner.
- Certificate in teaching or substitute teaching
- Basic certificate from an authorized high school
- Ability to comply with written and or oral instructions
- Ability to create an efficient working relationship with other personnel
- Proficiency in maintaining efficient classroom management skills
- Willingness to stand for most hours of the day or sit for extensive periods of time
- Full capability to give instructions while the regular teacher is absent.
To apply for this position, please contact Linda Goodwin at email@example.com
Tucker Maxon School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin, or other legally protected status. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.